Australian Student Visa

You can apply for a student visa to study at a university in Australia if you are enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Associate degree, Graduate Certificate or Diploma, a Master’s by coursework or research or a PhD.

They key to your visa application is to have an offer of a place at an approved Australian tertiary institution for an approved course. There are certain obligations on students while in Australia on a visa, such as appropriate attendance and performance levels in the course of study.

AA Education Network will advise you concerning courses and institutions, as well as student visa obligations

When you are granted your visa, you automatically have the right to work granted at the same time – up to 20 hours per week during semester, once you commence your studies, and unlimited during semester breaks.

Family members also have the right to work, while the student is studying – part time work hours for most degrees, but unlimited for a Master’s by course work or research, or a PhD student. Discuss your work options with AA Education Network while you are planning your studies.

You can also apply to have eligible family members, such as guardian, a spouse or dependant children, join you while you study. Family members can study courses up to three months while here, but if they wish to study a longer course in their own right they need to apply for their own student visa.

One of the conditions on this arrangement is that those who come to Australia as family members must remain with the family for the duration of the time spent in the country.

Contact AA Education Network today for information on who’s eligible to apply for an Australian Student Visa, what family members are eligible to accompany students, approved courses and institutions and suitable available work options.

Regarding your Visa requirements and Student visa conditions

Everything relating to your student visa is managed by The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). This Australian Government department determines the conditions of your visa. For example, if you’re on a scholarship, there may be special conditions attached to your visa. Therefore, it’s important that you know what this special conditions are to ensure you adhere to them. If you need more clarification to help you understand your legal obligations, you may need to contact the department directly to gather more information. Otherwise, you may find your visa cancelled and be deported for non-compliance.

But before you go calling the department, read your visa conditions directly. These are set out in the letter of approval you received with your visa (or perhaps on your visa label itself). Read these over a number of times so that you remember them and become familiar with its conditions and timeframes. While this might sound pedantic is very important if you want to complete your studies! In fact, each year, there are cases of students that contravene their visa conditions and are deported as a result. They are deemed to have “abused” the law, for example, by working longer hours than permitted on their visa. Another example includes students that overstay their visa timeframes. These offences might seem innocuous but in fact hold serious repercussion for an individual international student, such as being prevented from entry into Australia for the next 3-years. So, take the time to read your visa conditions thoroughly!

What to do if you want to amend your visa conditions?

So, you’re enjoying student life in Australia. Then you remember that you need to take another subject to complete the course next semester. But your current visa expires before then! What can you do about this and other problematic issues regarding your visa? Well, there’s good news. If your circumstances change, you want to change your course or provider, or perhaps you wish to stay longer, you can contact your nearest DIAC office for advice. They’ll also give you directions on how to lodge a formal visa change request application. However, please be mindful that you ensure your visa does not expire while you are in Australia: for if you stay longer than 28-days past your visa expiry date (without obtaining a new visa), you may be asked deported and prevented entry for three years. So do keep close contact with the DIAC if your visa conditions need an update. You can expedite the process by applying for a new visa at your local immigration office or at the visa section at the Australian Mission or Embassy in your home country.

©2017 Studying Australia

Please wait...
Send a message

Send us a message and our education agents will get back to you within 24 hours.

* Name
* Email
* Message
Login now

Need more help? Chat with us. We are online.

* Name
* Email
* How can we help?
We're online!

Help us help you better! Feel free to leave us any additional feedback.

How do you rate our support?

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?